All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Tub/Shower tiling question
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Tub/Shower tiling question Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have seen various posts here concerning some waterproofing that should be done before installing tile in a tub/shower surround. I was under (obviously incorrect) the assumption that 1/2" Hardi did this. So to waterproof before tiling I need some waterproof membrane over the Hardi? Or a brush/roll-on material? What works best? I only want to do this once :^)

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        membrane
        its a good product

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Yup, the Kerdi is the best thing to use.

Now, if you don't want to spend the money and have more time than cash you can always remove the existing Hardi, put up a layer of 30# felt and reinstall the Hardibacker.

But you need to have some form of liner as neither tile, grout or backerboard is waterproof.

Jaybee

Posts: 10295 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks guys. Frodo...I nearly had a coronary...your link took me to the full shower base kit for $775. Found this instead:

http://ecomfort.com/kerdi-200-...-3-3-x-33--4355.html

Are there decent installation instructions that come with this product? How easy is it for a 1-person install or do I need a 2nd pair of hands? In the picture at that link it appears there has been some mudding performed after install. Wouldn't that br better suited to do beforehand?

Jaybee...Hardi isn't up yet. Better option here to put it up then apply Kerdi or something else? I have time as this is a guest bathroom with very low use.

posted Hide Post
        Jabyee...did further research and found this on 30# felt:

http://www.scottherndonhomes.c...g=/tile+tub+surround

This is very appealing since it doesn't involve nasty liquids and thinset and such. Does 30# felt provide similar protection that the more expensive alternatives provide? Any caveats to be aware of?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Since your backer is not even up yet, I'd go with the felt liner. As your other link says, it's been used for years and does the job. Even if you have to buy a full roll of 30# felt, it only costs about $18. Go with 30# over 15# as the 30# will seal around any nails or screws better plus will be less likely to tear during the install.

Jaybee

Posts: 10295 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        it's more expensive, but could he use the rubberized roofing material with the stick-um already on it? It's wide enough so as not to have seams and will last a loooong time

Posts: 2535 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        New product like Kurdi but less expensive Called Trugard check their website

Posts: 2 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Dec 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post