All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Underlayment - popping
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Underlayment - popping Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Good afternoon.

I've attempted to remodel my bathroom on my own. I replaced a fairly large corner section of underlayment and installed all new vinyl tiles. I was in the middle of installing the vanity when I noticed a popping feeling of one of the vinyl tiles (just one). This tile is over the area where the corner of the new underlayment piece meets the old underlayment.

So...I tore up the couple tiles from the wall to the problem tile and didn't see anything unusual. At this point, I used a few screws and a couple underlayment nails and that area is still popping. This only started happening when we moved the vanity into the final resting spot.

Help!

Thanks

Dave

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Not sure if you are saying that the underlayment is popping up or if it's just the vinyl tile. Could be:

1. A water leak causing subfloor to swell
        2. Underlayment installed to tightly with no room to expand.
        3. Same with vinly tiles - installed too close to the wall leaving no expansion room

Jaybee

Posts: 10471 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the quick response Jaybee.

To be clear...the underlayment is popping not the tiles.

I replaced a water damaged section of the underlayment with the new underlayment. This is the beige color board in the picture. I used nails about every 5" and flooring compound between joints.

One caveat...the new underlayment board was slight bowed but I thought all the nails would fix any possible issues.

Strange things is that the popping is also occurring on the old underlayment board (brown) near the corner that the old and new meet.

Thanks

Dave

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Questions:

What's the thickness of the beige and brown material? (I am assuming they are both the same)

What is underneath this layer?

Any chance that all it needs are some screws to pull everything down?

Jaybee

Posts: 10471 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Took my father-in-laws advise (and yours)and drove a 3" long screw into the old underlayment (around the corner where they met) and one in the new underlayment. No more popping. Hopefully it stays this way when I put the new toilet in place.

Thanks