All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    adding a vent to shower
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

adding a vent to shower Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am in the process of tiling a basement shower and have concerns with poor ventilation. I installed tile-backer and painted the backer-board with UGL paint as a temporary measure while in-laws visited last year. Since then I have noticed a slight mold problem along the floor where the BB and concrete floor meet.
        There is a small exhaust fan outside the shower for a 10 x 12' room that seems to be working okay. As an option, can the the air return duct for the heating/AC system -- which runs up the wall separating the shower from the family room -- be used as a vent?

Thank you for any info and suggestions.

Michael

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You can't do double duty with the air return.

Since it's a basement, good chance you need to install a dehumidifier that can run 24/7. While your shower will add moisture (especially if the vent fan is not used) overall most basements will stay a little damp. Even a medium sized dehumidifier with a humidstat will keep things under control - as long as you have it rigged up to drain continuously.

Jaybee

Posts: 10428 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        dehumidifier as suggested..
        sounds like condensation from under your floor
        prob..no plastic over the dirt under the floor
        as a vapor barrier

dehumidifier hooks up to the hot water...drains into a y-branch tail peice,,under a sink. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4059 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post