DIY Message Boards
adding a vent to shower

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/7033982577

Nov 16, 2013, 11:23 AM
revbrewm
adding a vent to shower
I am in the process of tiling a basement shower and have concerns with poor ventilation. I installed tile-backer and painted the backer-board with UGL paint as a temporary measure while in-laws visited last year. Since then I have noticed a slight mold problem along the floor where the BB and concrete floor meet.
There is a small exhaust fan outside the shower for a 10 x 12' room that seems to be working okay. As an option, can the the air return duct for the heating/AC system -- which runs up the wall separating the shower from the family room -- be used as a vent?

Thank you for any info and suggestions.

Michael
Nov 16, 2013, 12:09 PM
Jaybee
You can't do double duty with the air return.

Since it's a basement, good chance you need to install a dehumidifier that can run 24/7. While your shower will add moisture (especially if the vent fan is not used) overall most basements will stay a little damp. Even a medium sized dehumidifier with a humidstat will keep things under control - as long as you have it rigged up to drain continuously.

Jaybee
Nov 16, 2013, 01:08 PM
Frodo
dehumidifier as suggested..
sounds like condensation from under your floor
prob..no plastic over the dirt under the floor
as a vapor barrier

dehumidifier hooks up to the hot water...drains into a y-branch tail peice,,under a sink. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Nov 17, 2013, 01:41 AM
Frodo
Cool