All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    hole in ceiling
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

hole in ceiling Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a hole in my ceiling directly above the toilet. There is what I believe to be the vent pipe where the hole is. Was just wondering what could be causing the problem. And what fix anyone could suggest.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        oh, so many questions begging. like what kind of ceiling material, what material of pipe, what is the roof penetration like, is the room always humid.......

generic answer is ceilings fail when they get wet. solve that issue first, fix the ceiling later.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5822 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        To answer your questions. The ceiling consists of gyprock with a stucco finish. The pipe is black pvc and the room isn't all that humid. As for the roof well it was resurfaced about 5 yrs ago, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. It should be good tho

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        so the first step seems to me to get up there, and check the vent flashing and collar. water has to go OUT and then DOWN. failure of anything that allows infiltration is the most likely cause.

goo in a tube will not be a fix. not for more than a year or two.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5822 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Can you post a picture so we do not all have to keep guessing what it is your trying to do?

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post