All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Water accumulating on top of the sink's drain pipe nut
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Water accumulating on top of the sink's drain pipe nut Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just installed the drain pipe. I tighten the nuts by hand and use channel lock to turn it another half turn or so. I didn't want to tight too hard because I was afraid it may break (possible?!).

When I turn on water at the faucet, no leak during 15-20min of running.

After I turned off everything and walked away, about 30min later, I saw some water accumulating on top of the nuts (two red circles in photo). I tried to feel the surrounding of the pipe and no leak from the outside of the top drain (black pipe). So this water must be from inside out, I assumed. But it doesn't make much sense because the position is quite high from the P-trap.

My question is: Why does it start leaking after like 0.5 - 1hr or so? What can I do about it?

Posts: 279 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        First, the quick question: There is a milky/clear plastic compression ring the fits on each pipe. It's slid onto the pipe after you slide on the nut. Did you use them?

The leak may take a few minutes to appear as it may just take a bit for water to weep past where it's supposed to be sealed. The compression ring is what actually seals the joint and keeps if from leaking while the large plastic nut just holds everything together and tight. Without the compression ring, it is going to leak, but the leak will be small as the nut does close off most of any gaps.

So each time you use the drain some water collects around the threads of the nut. Then, over the next several minutes that water collects around the pipe joint.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10300 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I bought the kit from Home Depot and it came with nut and the plastic ring. Is that the same thing as you mentioned? If so, yes I had them installed.

Posts: 279 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        try this, you going to need a roll ot toilet paper and a flash light

put stopper in the sink, fill with water.
        crawl under sink, have your better half pull the stopper
        using a small corner of the tp
        touch it to all surfices of the nuts and pipe
        if there is a leak. the paper will wick the water. even if its a small little darn it cant find it leak
        watch the paper with your light, go slow. take your time
        if its leaking you will find it

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Are you sure the rings are facing the right direction.?

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        the picture you are showing, not the P trap but the other pipe, that comes out of the wall..it does not use a plastic nut. that nut is for the connection to the wall
        the nut slids onto the pipe, around the 90 degree bend, and that fits onto the j bend of the trap.the washer is built in.

http://www.bing.com/videos/sea...6520492C2D22ABD6B073

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        the picture you are showing, not the P trap but the other pipe, that comes out of the wall..it does not use a plastic nut. that nut is for the connection to the wall
        the nut slids onto the pipe, around the 90 degree bend, and that fits onto the j bend of the trap.the washer is built in.

@Frodo, not sure if I follow you 100%. I am sure the two red circle areas in my photo leaks. I am unclear about what you saying above. Could you elaborate more? Thanks

posted Hide Post
        First -- those two pipes connect together with only a hand tighten nut, no washer.'

Second -- I've had the same problem you do and it turned out to be leaking from above where you've marked the two red circles. Did you use the right washer on the tailpiece where it connects to the strainer basket? Is the strainer basket tightened properly, etc etc. It's hard to see with a slow leak and the water can work it's way down without you seeing it. Feel for moisture on the pipes, or use toilet paper to see if water is going down the pipes because of gravity. And as someone said earlier, the washers must be installed with the bevel edge facing the right direction.

Also, I loose connect everything and then the first nut I tighten is the one connecting the two pipes in your picture -- if it doesn't 'seat' properly then it will leak, but that is beyond your 'two red circles'.

Plumbing has rules, break the rules, pay the price -- meaning if I don't tighten that nut before the others it ends up leaking.

PS the washer that sits in the tailpiece is a different washer than those in your picture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 949 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        dry all surfaces first, then with water running, touch a corner of the tissue against the pipe
        and watch for water to soak into tissue. start at the top and work your way down
        water drips down, so....if the bottom nut and top nut are wet..your leak is up top

posted Hide Post
        I have identified the source of the leak. It is inside of the threaded metal of the drain piece (photo #1).

I also noticed when I have the drain outside, the black pipe is actually spinning freely. Is it supposed to be like that? It's possible that it leaks where the PVC pipe touch the metal inside. I am not certain but just suspecting.

The black rubber seal ring under the sink is tight and there is no leak around there.

So I am just thinking it's either:
        1. The whole drain is defected.
        OR
        2. Somehow the plumber putty didn't seal inside? But this doesn't make sense because it would leak around the black rubber seal, does it?

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        I can see why.
        Your missing the nut and sealing ring to attach the tube.

joecaption

Posts: 18025 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Your missing the nut and sealing ring to attach the tube.

My first picture showed that (seal ring/nut) in photo #1. Or are you talking about something else?

I installed everything coming in the box with this drain.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        the black pipe [tail peice] screws into the metal basket strainer
        turn it to the left AND UNSCREW IT..APPLY PIPE DOPE..NOT TEFLON TAPE
        then screw it back tite....apply plumbers puddy to the basket strainer under the lip that is above the sink, replace rubber washer and tighten the nut.till the puddy squishes out the strainer..

posted Hide Post
        I have been trying to remove the black pipe but it doesn't come out. I think it's not "screwed" in the metal basket but it has the lip on top and inside the metal threaded area. Isn't that strange?

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        sounds like a pos drain from walmart or ace...toss it and get another

posted Hide Post
        This has been my 3rd drain replacement from Amazon, on the same model:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found a pattern:
        - If I run the water normally, it is OK and no leak.
        - If I fill the water up high, maybe as high as the overflow point and then open up, the water pushed down and there would be ~5 drops.

See below photo on where the water dropped and top of my sink.

I have used all components correctly, of course, with plumber putty. The fact is that it leaks inside the space between the black tube and the metal thread, it is confirmed the internal design of this drain has problem with high pressure (when fill up water high enough).

Am I correct? And if so, is it OK to just seal silicone in that space (blue circle)?

(My wife really likes this faucet/drain set so if we can just do that and no long term issue, it may be OK!? Dunno...)