All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Horrible cheap cabinets
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Horrible cheap cabinets Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Is there anyway to update/fix/re-do some cabinets that have some type of plastic covering on them. They are cheap with the plastic somehow applied over particle board. At least I think it's particle board. The covering has split and is peeling. I know you can't paint over it, because I don't think paint will adhere to the surface.I'm wondering if there is someway to use something like wallpaper or brown wrapping paper. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        it's called laminate board, and they are evil cheap. apartment owners all over paint over the things, and it usually peels off. sand them, use a very sticky primer like 1-2-3, and paint over that if you are allowed to.

the other option is cut the peeling off flat with a single-edge razor blade, and put contact paper over the cabinets.

my preferred option would be to replace that junk, but I spent years in apartments before getting married and buying a house, and apartment owners do NOT want tenants doing anything beyond replacing light bulbs. multiple reasons, from economy to insurance to legal and zoning requirements, but if you don't own it, don't modify it.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5860 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Pattiecake:
        Is there anyway to update/fix/re-do some cabinets that have some type of plastic covering on them. They are cheap with the plastic somehow applied over particle board. At least I think it's particle board. The covering has split and is peeling. I know you can't paint over it, because I don't think paint will adhere to the surface.I'm wondering if there is someway to use something like wallpaper or brown wrapping paper. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Well I found something useful for peeling cabinets which if you can easily follow and fix your issue:

http://lauramakes.com/2013/01/...g-bathroom-cabinets/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aquapeutics,

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        There are cheap old stocks, used and even brand new of that kind of materials that you can buy. If you are familiar with caldwells.com along Bay Area, San Francisco. This is the place where you can buy cheap home repair and renovation and furnishing stuff.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: Jan 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post