DIY Message Boards
Horrible cheap cabinets

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/6403994177

Jun 20, 2013, 11:34 AM
Pattiecake
Horrible cheap cabinets
Is there anyway to update/fix/re-do some cabinets that have some type of plastic covering on them. They are cheap with the plastic somehow applied over particle board. At least I think it's particle board. The covering has split and is peeling. I know you can't paint over it, because I don't think paint will adhere to the surface.I'm wondering if there is someway to use something like wallpaper or brown wrapping paper. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Jun 20, 2013, 01:23 PM
swschrad
it's called laminate board, and they are evil cheap. apartment owners all over paint over the things, and it usually peels off. sand them, use a very sticky primer like 1-2-3, and paint over that if you are allowed to.

the other option is cut the peeling off flat with a single-edge razor blade, and put contact paper over the cabinets.

my preferred option would be to replace that junk, but I spent years in apartments before getting married and buying a house, and apartment owners do NOT want tenants doing anything beyond replacing light bulbs. multiple reasons, from economy to insurance to legal and zoning requirements, but if you don't own it, don't modify it.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Oct 07, 2013, 02:50 AM
Aquapeutics
quote:
Originally posted by Pattiecake:
Is there anyway to update/fix/re-do some cabinets that have some type of plastic covering on them. They are cheap with the plastic somehow applied over particle board. At least I think it's particle board. The covering has split and is peeling. I know you can't paint over it, because I don't think paint will adhere to the surface.I'm wondering if there is someway to use something like wallpaper or brown wrapping paper. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Well I found something useful for peeling cabinets which if you can easily follow and fix your issue:

http://lauramakes.com/2013/01/...g-bathroom-cabinets/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aquapeutics,
Jul 18, 2014, 09:10 PM
sandy foster
There are cheap old stocks, used and even brand new of that kind of materials that you can buy. If you are familiar with caldwells.com along Bay Area, San Francisco. This is the place where you can buy cheap home repair and renovation and furnishing stuff.