All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Building a bathtub platform
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Building a bathtub platform Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Renovating a bathroom the wife tells me she wants the tub raised about 6" above the existing cement slab floor. All plumbing from old floor level tub is installed. Should the platform be built from wood or should I get a mason in to build one from brick? Or would either be ok?

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Either would be OK. Wood will give you the advantage of making it with an open front to aid in making plumping connections. Once everything is connected and tested, you can put the front skirt on.

Jaybee

Posts: 10124 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Jaybee, was hoping that would be the answer. I plan on using 2x6's and plywood to top. Should I use cement board on top of the plywood or could I just use cement board?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you plan on tiling the box, then you do need cement board as a final surface. Since the cement board must be fully supported, use 3/4" plywood first, then covered with the cement board. Your 2x6 framing can be spaced 16" apart to support the plywood.

Jaybee

Posts: 10124 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks again. The wife will be happy and I will be working.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        http://www.plumbersurplus.com/...White/215313/Cat/758

this might help

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Frodo mmmm just not sure why you sent me a link to a bathtub? I already have the tub my wife just wants it elevated, and her wish .........

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i hear yea. do as your told like a good husband. lol i'm married to. i know i know
        I run my house hold....like the vacuum cleaner and the dishwasher. i run a dryer to!!
        but i am not allowed to touch the washer. he he he i ruined a argile sweater 25 years ago. and i hear about it 1 x a year

thought maybe your wife wanted a deeper tub to soak in

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for sharing this discussion i am also having a same problem and looking for various options so that i can build a nice platform for my bathtub. I really found this forum is by far the best for this kind of solutions....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samlewis,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post