All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Installing bathroom fan and...
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Installing bathroom fan and... Sign In/Join 
        posted
        The fan is all installed, duct installed, etc. My problem is that as I'm going to replace the single gang junction box witha double gang for the new fan switch and the old light switch, I noticed that the box is in between two studs, not allowing for enough room to install a double gang.

For some reason, there is the stud that is right next to the door.. about 2 1/2 inches worth of space (exactly enough for the junction box) and then another stud next to it.

So, since I don't want the switches to look stupid when I'm done, I'd like to cut out the stud to the left side of the box (not by the door). I'd venture to guess though that it's probably the stud the rest are based 16" OC on.. so I don't just want to cut it out.

My question is, should it be good enough to cut the stud, then put in a 2x4 header and footer for it, and put my new double gang junction box in between that?

If not, any alternative suggestions?

Thanks!

Lee

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        install an other box under or above the present box pull the power to it and make sure you have about 2 1/2" wall space between them when the cover is installed.we did it in our kitchen and it looks just fine.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post