DIY Message Boards
Am I missing something?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/6063946967

Apr 11, 2013, 12:42 PM
Celdtun
Am I missing something?
I am about to undertake a rather ambitious bathroom remodel, but I'm stuck at the glass shower door replacement and could use some advice.

I am going to replace the 30"x60" tub with a shower, but the doors don't seem high enough. I plan to use a pre-built shower pan that is only 2" from the subfloor, but anything less than 70" is too short and even 76" seems questionable. To make matters more difficult, the bathroom is a small one and we have a strong preference for a sliding door. I am close to 6' and don't want to duck every time I go to use the shower. The walls are the standard 8' height so I have plenty of room above.

So couple questions:

1) What do other people do in this situation? Is 70" really too short and I need to find something taller?
2) Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a frame-less, sliding door that won't kill my meger budget?
3) Since I'm asking questions, I see 1/4" up to 1/2" thick glass. Any recommendations on what to look for or what to avoid?

Thanks!
Apr 11, 2013, 04:48 PM
Jaybee
Around 70" tall is typical for a shower door. While you may think that you'll bump your head every time you enter and exit the shower, you will not. I'm 6'-2" tall and never even notice when I enter a shower where the top bar is 72" off the floor.

Price wise both Kohler and Sterling (a division of Kohler) offer many frameless styles - you can find them at Lowe's or other home stores in the $300 range. Even though 'frameless' you will still have a top bar, bottom frame piece ans two sides - but the doors will be just glass. Thicker glass is better (to a point) but the thickness of any stock door you get will be sized to be strong enough.

You can find taller shower doors if you want but you will pay LOTS more money. A custom made, frameless 5' wide shower door will set you back somewhere between $3,000 and $4,000.

Jaybee
Apr 11, 2013, 07:30 PM
Re-mdlr
Another option is look in the yellow pages under "Glass" and call a glass company that makes shower doors. Talk to them, they'll help, give you a free estimate or at least an idea. You can decide from there.