DIY Message Boards
Pocket Door on Rehab Addict

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/5683933277

Jul 19, 2013, 11:41 AM
JeanneP
Pocket Door on Rehab Addict
In an episode of Rehab Addict Nicole plugged the hole where a door knob would have gone on a regular door. I want to know the product that she used. It was a powder that she mixed with water to make what looked like a thick paste. It set in about 30 minutes. It was the episode where she rehabbed a very small bathroom in a 1949 house. She also started work on the Dollar House. Any help would be really appreciated.
Jul 19, 2013, 12:40 PM
SturdyNail
I didn't see that episode, so I can't tell you what Nicole used. I can tell you what worked great for me for a similar patch. I won't take credit for it either. Ron Hazelton has a video on repairing hollow core doors that gave me the idea ( Ron Hazelton video ) .
Auto body filler (like Bondo) works great. It is a two part compound. The fumes are extremely noxious though, so, if you try this, do it outside. Also, I'd suggest at least partially filling the hole with a piece of wood, then use the filler for the top 1/4" of each side of the patch. Ron Hazelton used wadded up paper and then foam as a backer for the compound, but I think a solid piece of wood will work better.

Your mileage may vary.
Jul 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
swschrad
Nicole used an old-timer, Durham's Rock-Hard Water Putty. it's relatively inexpensive, and provided you don't use it in a wet place like the idiots did in the floor and mortar cracks of the folks' basement, holds up very well.

in a wet place, Bondo auto repair filler or one of several epoxy 2-part pastes would do the job. if you have to go over 3/8 to a half inch thickness in Bondo, I'd use the fibered version for extra strength.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?