All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Pocket Door on Rehab Addict
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Pocket Door on Rehab Addict Sign In/Join 
        posted
        In an episode of Rehab Addict Nicole plugged the hole where a door knob would have gone on a regular door. I want to know the product that she used. It was a powder that she mixed with water to make what looked like a thick paste. It set in about 30 minutes. It was the episode where she rehabbed a very small bathroom in a 1949 house. She also started work on the Dollar House. Any help would be really appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I didn't see that episode, so I can't tell you what Nicole used. I can tell you what worked great for me for a similar patch. I won't take credit for it either. Ron Hazelton has a video on repairing hollow core doors that gave me the idea ( Ron Hazelton video ) .
        Auto body filler (like Bondo) works great. It is a two part compound. The fumes are extremely noxious though, so, if you try this, do it outside. Also, I'd suggest at least partially filling the hole with a piece of wood, then use the filler for the top 1/4" of each side of the patch. Ron Hazelton used wadded up paper and then foam as a backer for the compound, but I think a solid piece of wood will work better.

Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 260 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Nicole used an old-timer, Durham's Rock-Hard Water Putty. it's relatively inexpensive, and provided you don't use it in a wet place like the idiots did in the floor and mortar cracks of the folks' basement, holds up very well.

in a wet place, Bondo auto repair filler or one of several epoxy 2-part pastes would do the job. if you have to go over 3/8 to a half inch thickness in Bondo, I'd use the fibered version for extra strength.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5490 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post