All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    bathtub
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

bathtub Sign In/Join 
        posted
        What is the best material to get for the tub? Many different materials which is best?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Cast iron is real good, but expensive, nice shine to it, quiet to water splashes and dropped objects, but is very heavy to get into the house and into where it goes.
        Steel is a lot cheaper, much lighter, and noisy to dropped objects and water splashes,
        American Standard makes a tub, not cheap, but I've installed them, and it's a lot lighter, but is a quieter to use tub (I've been happy with them). But I forget right now what they call it.
        Standard fiberglass tubs are good, easy to install, some are set in mortar beds and some are not. I prefer to set in mortar.
        What to buy also depends on what style and size you want.

Posts: 875 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Excavator
        posted Hide Post
        I am trying to decide between cast iron clawfoot or acrylic. Is there any advice on this issue. I am concerned about acrylic flexing and then cracking. Are most cast iron tubs made equal? Is there a certain thickness which is better for acrylic clawfoot tubs? It seems they are about equal in price by some vendors.
        Ideas, advice or tips?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would expect differences in construction in acrylic for a standalone soaker tub, precisely because cast iron does not flex.

I would still not expect somebody to come along in 120 years, scrub down an acrylic tub, put a dab of porcelain fix paint on a chip, and refit it for the next 50 years or more. you can with cast iron.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5500 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post