All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Wax Seal for Toilet
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Wax Seal for Toilet Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm installing a new commode. I noticed that the wax seal that comes with the toilet is narrower than wax seals that I have purchased separately as replacements. Does having a wider wax seal make any difference (i.e., minimize the possibility of a leak), or is it more like a 100% seal is as effective as a "200% seal"? I would expect that manufacturers would provide a wax seal that would prevent leaks.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        It may be that your toilet package is just less expensive? I personally would probably purchase another seal.

Whenever I have purchased and installed new Kohler toilets in the last few years...(up grading to the comfort height), the wax seals were not included in the toilet package. I've always bought the kind (extra couple of bucks) with the rubber flange attached too. It dips down into the floor pipe to help reduce possible leaks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        no end to the way to cheap out a "package." I always buy the new ring. if I don't get a good "squish," then I pull the toilet back off and put the cheapo on first, then the good one, to be sure I have a good seal.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5864 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks. Think I'll do the same.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post