DIY Message Boards
Wax Seal for Toilet

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/5183908108

Mar 11, 2014, 12:10 PM
IndianaGuy
Wax Seal for Toilet
I'm installing a new commode. I noticed that the wax seal that comes with the toilet is narrower than wax seals that I have purchased separately as replacements. Does having a wider wax seal make any difference (i.e., minimize the possibility of a leak), or is it more like a 100% seal is as effective as a "200% seal"? I would expect that manufacturers would provide a wax seal that would prevent leaks.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 PM
Conrad
It may be that your toilet package is just less expensive? I personally would probably purchase another seal.

Whenever I have purchased and installed new Kohler toilets in the last few years...(up grading to the comfort height), the wax seals were not included in the toilet package. I've always bought the kind (extra couple of bucks) with the rubber flange attached too. It dips down into the floor pipe to help reduce possible leaks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,
Mar 11, 2014, 04:12 PM
swschrad
no end to the way to cheap out a "package." I always buy the new ring. if I don't get a good "squish," then I pull the toilet back off and put the cheapo on first, then the good one, to be sure I have a good seal.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Mar 12, 2014, 12:34 AM
IndianaGuy
Thanks. Think I'll do the same.