All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Stand up shower or tube/shower
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Stand up shower or tube/shower Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just bought a house and in the bathroom is a walk-in tub. I am removing it and I want to add a tub/shower, but my brother said making it a walk-in shower would be best. What do you think is best, I have added a photo of the bathroom. It looks small to put a bath tub in there

Posts: 2 | Location: Iowa | Registered: Sep 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        A standard bathtub length is 5 feet, and they come pretty standard in 6 foot also, but those usually need special ordering. Standard width is 30 to 34 inches. And building codes require a minimum of 15 inches from the center of the toilet to the shower/tub you're considering.

A walk in shower requires a 2 inch drain pipe, a bathtub requires a 1.5 inch drain. Whichever you go with, count on moving the shower valve assembly to make it more friendly to use.

A 6 ft bathtub is always a selling point, a shower stall is a really nice feature, but do you have another bathtub in the house is the question

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 949 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        There is a toilet and sink on the other side of the wall behind the walk-in tub. My idea was to push that wall back to open up the space in the current bathroom. To me the other one is really a wash up room and I don't feel it needs to be as big as it is, almost the same size of the one shown.

Posts: 2 | Location: Iowa | Registered: Sep 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        you could put an open shower in that room
        take out the walk in tub.
        demo the walls and floor tile
        water proof the walls and floor
        and add 2 floor drains in the room
        1 in the middle of room the 2nd where the walk in tub is..retile the walls..leaving the shower valve where it is....upgrade the valve
        now you can stand in the room and take a shower, without cluttering it up with walls...

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post