All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Help!! Polishing VINTAGE Brass fixtures
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help!! Polishing VINTAGE Brass fixtures Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello again all; been away; COULD someone direct me into this? I live in a 1930 Co-op bldg NYC; I sanded my tub Spout and found BRILLIANT gold brass underneath; I'm ecstatic;; Now, the faucet handles are a challenge, they're criss cross OLD 70 ++ yrs KOHLER fixtures. HOW can I get the best out of them without replacing with NEW chrome modern? I want to grind them down to the brilliant brass, Beau-tiful. If I get to that point, HOW DO I SEAL THEM from with no tarnishing in the future..OR :WILL THEY STAY BRILLIANT without any care? They're beautiful, but NEED SANDING OR POLISHING FROM SOMEONE: thx in advance Larry NYC!

Posts: 222 | Location: Chelsea, New York | Registered: Mar 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Do not, repeat, do not grind the brass, it will destroy the surface to where polishing wont help. If you don't know anyone who has a polishing wheel and compounds to do it, find a place that does plating . they will be able to restore the handles and apply a hard finish that will protect the brass
        There are other ways beginning with #320 grit wet or dry paper and continuing to progressively finer paper. There is also polishing cloths with fine grit in it

Posts: 2538 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I used to polish my army buttons and other uniform symbols with brasso. I still use it on home decorations and door knobs .

Posts: 756 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        brass will always tarnish. however, once it have been cleaned by a pro with jeweler's rouge and a canvas cleaning wheel, a coat or two of spray varnish will preserve the luster.

used to have a neighbor in Fargo who did stained glass windows and brasswork, built a bump-stop control for his buffer bench. his biggest hassle was finding a good varnish that was consistent, 5 gallon pail after pail. ended up with Diamond Vogel.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5744 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        No way would I ever use a sanding sponge!
        Brass is a soft material, even a Scotch Brite Pad cleaning pad will scratch it.

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Well, we know that Farrel is just spamming for Caldwells so his answers will simply be ads.

He's the one who suggested being "idealistic and creative" in response to an insulation question. What role idealism plays in insulation is still a mystery. But I'm sure Caldwell's has an answer!

Just another useless spammer.

Posts: 1915 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        a professional refinisher I used to live by used jeweler's rouge and a cotton buffing wheel to remove tarnish, after removing any leftover varnish with remover. he then resprayed clear varnish cut 1:1. for a faucet, I'd use polyurethane oil-base, diluted 1:1 with solvent so it sprays.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5744 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It doesn't get any better then this...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQpjIp0m40

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post