DIY Message Boards
Help!! Polishing VINTAGE Brass fixtures

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/4583948477

Oct 28, 2013, 05:25 PM
rusty1978
Help!! Polishing VINTAGE Brass fixtures
Hello again all; been away; COULD someone direct me into this? I live in a 1930 Co-op bldg NYC; I sanded my tub Spout and found BRILLIANT gold brass underneath; I'm ecstatic;; Now, the faucet handles are a challenge, they're criss cross OLD 70 ++ yrs KOHLER fixtures. HOW can I get the best out of them without replacing with NEW chrome modern? I want to grind them down to the brilliant brass, Beau-tiful. If I get to that point, HOW DO I SEAL THEM from with no tarnishing in the future..OR :WILL THEY STAY BRILLIANT without any care? They're beautiful, but NEED SANDING OR POLISHING FROM SOMEONE: thx in advance Larry NYC!
Oct 28, 2013, 08:17 PM
nona
Do not, repeat, do not grind the brass, it will destroy the surface to where polishing wont help. If you don't know anyone who has a polishing wheel and compounds to do it, find a place that does plating . they will be able to restore the handles and apply a hard finish that will protect the brass
There are other ways beginning with #320 grit wet or dry paper and continuing to progressively finer paper. There is also polishing cloths with fine grit in it
Oct 28, 2013, 08:37 PM
beers1
I used to polish my army buttons and other uniform symbols with brasso. I still use it on home decorations and door knobs .
Oct 29, 2013, 10:59 AM
swschrad
brass will always tarnish. however, once it have been cleaned by a pro with jeweler's rouge and a canvas cleaning wheel, a coat or two of spray varnish will preserve the luster.

used to have a neighbor in Fargo who did stained glass windows and brasswork, built a bump-stop control for his buffer bench. his biggest hassle was finding a good varnish that was consistent, 5 gallon pail after pail. ended up with Diamond Vogel.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?