All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Do I need to re-tile my shower?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Do I need to re-tile my shower? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a very bad problem. My shower is tiled. The shower head is on the wall directly across from a wall that has a small ledge formed by tile coming together at a 90 degree angle. Water from the shower head hits the wall at the 90 degree angle. The caulk cracked there and I didn't realize it. I only realized there was a problem when water came thru the ceiling of the room beneath the shower. The plumber came and confirmed that the water was coming thru the crack in the grout. There was nothing behind the ledge. Am I going to have to re-tile the shower? Is there a work-around? I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You are going to have to not only retile the shower, you are going to have to rebuild your surround. Tile is not waterproof. Grout is not waterproof. If you are leaking then your problem is beyond the tile and grout. having cracks in the grout just makes the water leak faster, but it will leak even if the grout is re-done.

There is no easy fix. You can coast for a short time by lathering a silicon seal on all the grout lines in the leaking area, but this a total hack job that will not last long.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        The fact that enough water came through to leak through the ceiling below, indicates a LOT of water was getting behind the shower wall. If this has been an ongoing issue, there is probably mold back there too.

I would also tear it out to see the damage and repair it right. Perhaps a solid surface shower wall system could be a possibility in your future?

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Older bathroom?
        I'd bet there only sheetrock behind that tile.
        No longer acceptable.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you for your replies. This is a case of the builder doing a poor job. The house was built in 2008. I have no recourse because the problem was not observable until I was no longer under warranty.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post