DIY Message Boards
Do I need to re-tile my shower?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/4273945477

Oct 14, 2013, 11:01 PM
ead
Do I need to re-tile my shower?
I have a very bad problem. My shower is tiled. The shower head is on the wall directly across from a wall that has a small ledge formed by tile coming together at a 90 degree angle. Water from the shower head hits the wall at the 90 degree angle. The caulk cracked there and I didn't realize it. I only realized there was a problem when water came thru the ceiling of the room beneath the shower. The plumber came and confirmed that the water was coming thru the crack in the grout. There was nothing behind the ledge. Am I going to have to re-tile the shower? Is there a work-around? I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks
Oct 15, 2013, 06:04 PM
Jaybee
You are going to have to not only retile the shower, you are going to have to rebuild your surround. Tile is not waterproof. Grout is not waterproof. If you are leaking then your problem is beyond the tile and grout. having cracks in the grout just makes the water leak faster, but it will leak even if the grout is re-done.

There is no easy fix. You can coast for a short time by lathering a silicon seal on all the grout lines in the leaking area, but this a total hack job that will not last long.

Jaybee
Oct 15, 2013, 06:26 PM
Conrad
The fact that enough water came through to leak through the ceiling below, indicates a LOT of water was getting behind the shower wall. If this has been an ongoing issue, there is probably mold back there too.

I would also tear it out to see the damage and repair it right. Perhaps a solid surface shower wall system could be a possibility in your future?
Oct 15, 2013, 06:37 PM
joecaption
Older bathroom?
I'd bet there only sheetrock behind that tile.
No longer acceptable.

joecaption
Oct 15, 2013, 10:02 PM
ead
Thank you for your replies. This is a case of the builder doing a poor job. The house was built in 2008. I have no recourse because the problem was not observable until I was no longer under warranty.