All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    How to build shower pan with my drain pipe
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How to build shower pan with my drain pipe Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        you see the 4 bolts on that shower drain? your shower membraine attaches there...then the tile and mud bed goes on top of the membraine

Posts: 4052 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        how to install a shower pan liner

Posts: 4052 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ok I think I'm with you now (I'm a bit slow sometimes Smile thank you for your patience). What I was thinking about doing wouldn't work because the drain wouldn't be level with the floor so the pitch for the liner wouldn't work.

A few questions on the process:
        So to fix this I just need to swap the ptrap correct?
        Is is easier to make the hole with a concrete saw or a jackhammer?
        Does it matter if the drain is centered for the shower floor or not?
        Is there a certain type of cement I should use when I refill the hole?

I probably won't have a chance to get started on this until the end of the month but I will keep you posted.

Thanks.
        Todd

Posts: 15 | Location: MN | Registered: Oct 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        yes, swap out the trap. depends on the thickness of the concrete. i'd just knock the hell out of it with a 16lb sledge
        or go rent a chipping hammer from a rental place.
        no it does not have to be centered, but if it is, it makes it a whole easier to tile
        slope the floor 1/4" inch per foot twards the drain
        quickrete..from home depot

when working arouind your pipes..plug them with a rag...keep stuff out

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

posted Hide Post
        I've started to look into things more and get my materials together and I have a couple additional questions with replacing the p-trap:

Is there a certain type of pipe that should be used when it will be buried in concrete? PVC, ABS, metal, ...?

Does the pipe need to be wrapped (with plastic or something) where it will be in contact with the concrete?

When I install the bottom piece of the 3 piece shower drian, should it be slightly above the concrete floor? (to allow room for pre-slope)

-Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: MN | Registered: Oct 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        what pipe is there already? if pvc go back with pvc, if abs, go back with abs
        ifits castiron...you will need probly..2" cast iron x 2" pvc mission band...get it at your hardware store
        you gotta get the right band.
        pipe can be incontact with concrete.

depending on the debth of your pour,
        and if your using a mud base, or thin set..
        as to the height of your drain...all these variables you need to know before setting the drain.
        how far away from the wall is the drain? it needs to have slope...1/4" per foot or 1/8" per foot

the bottom pc of the floor drain...is a clamping ring
        this needs to be at the height of the shower pan..
        and...after you screw clamp ring onto the drain body
        you will notice little holes in the side of the drain body, where the ring connects..these are "weep" holes
        for water that gets on the pan,,,to "weep" into the drain. DO NOT COVER THESE HOLES WITH CONCRETE...put a litle tape over them..the tape will rot away...leaving a void
        from the top of the clamp ring..to the top of the strainer...is your adjustment...srainer screws up or down

shower drain and tile 3 videos

ptrap replacement

pan liner

sunday am, i'm outta here for 2 weeks..any more questions? be here sat night

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

posted Hide Post
        Thanks Frodo for the details. The quick pitch shower pan kit I got came with a plastic weep hole cover so I plan to use that.

I hope to get started on this next week, I'll let you know how things go and I will probably be back with a few additional questions Smile

Thanks.