DIY Message Boards
How to build shower pan with my drain pipe

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/4193978477

Nov 01, 2013, 02:59 PM
Frodo
How to build shower pan with my drain pipe
you see the 4 bolts on that shower drain? your shower membraine attaches there...then the tile and mud bed goes on top of the membraine
Nov 01, 2013, 03:53 PM
Mr_T
Ok I think I'm with you now (I'm a bit slow sometimes Smile thank you for your patience). What I was thinking about doing wouldn't work because the drain wouldn't be level with the floor so the pitch for the liner wouldn't work.

A few questions on the process:
So to fix this I just need to swap the ptrap correct?
Is is easier to make the hole with a concrete saw or a jackhammer?
Does it matter if the drain is centered for the shower floor or not?
Is there a certain type of cement I should use when I refill the hole?

I probably won't have a chance to get started on this until the end of the month but I will keep you posted.

Thanks.
Todd
Nov 01, 2013, 05:50 PM
Frodo
yes, swap out the trap. depends on the thickness of the concrete. i'd just knock the hell out of it with a 16lb sledge
or go rent a chipping hammer from a rental place.
no it does not have to be centered, but if it is, it makes it a whole easier to tile
slope the floor 1/4" inch per foot twards the drain
quickrete..from home depot

when working arouind your pipes..plug them with a rag...keep stuff out

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Nov 08, 2013, 11:26 AM
Mr_T
I've started to look into things more and get my materials together and I have a couple additional questions with replacing the p-trap:

Is there a certain type of pipe that should be used when it will be buried in concrete? PVC, ABS, metal, ...?

Does the pipe need to be wrapped (with plastic or something) where it will be in contact with the concrete?

When I install the bottom piece of the 3 piece shower drian, should it be slightly above the concrete floor? (to allow room for pre-slope)

-Thanks
Nov 08, 2013, 03:47 PM
Frodo
what pipe is there already? if pvc go back with pvc, if abs, go back with abs
ifits castiron...you will need probly..2" cast iron x 2" pvc mission band...get it at your hardware store
you gotta get the right band.
pipe can be incontact with concrete.

depending on the debth of your pour,
and if your using a mud base, or thin set..
as to the height of your drain...all these variables you need to know before setting the drain.
how far away from the wall is the drain? it needs to have slope...1/4" per foot or 1/8" per foot

the bottom pc of the floor drain...is a clamping ring
this needs to be at the height of the shower pan..
and...after you screw clamp ring onto the drain body
you will notice little holes in the side of the drain body, where the ring connects..these are "weep" holes
for water that gets on the pan,,,to "weep" into the drain. DO NOT COVER THESE HOLES WITH CONCRETE...put a litle tape over them..the tape will rot away...leaving a void
from the top of the clamp ring..to the top of the strainer...is your adjustment...srainer screws up or down

shower drain and tile 3 videos

ptrap replacement

pan liner

sunday am, i'm outta here for 2 weeks..any more questions? be here sat night

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Nov 25, 2013, 11:56 AM
Mr_T
Thanks Frodo for the details. The quick pitch shower pan kit I got came with a plastic weep hole cover so I plan to use that.

I hope to get started on this next week, I'll let you know how things go and I will probably be back with a few additional questions Smile

Thanks.