DIY Message Boards
Which shower material is easiest to keep clean:Acrylic, Ceramic Tile or Solid Surface

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/4163973108

Feb 18, 2014, 09:36 PM
Aces
Which shower material is easiest to keep clean:Acrylic, Ceramic Tile or Solid Surface
We are replacing our old double shower unit. It's Fiberglass.
We have well water and often get a red scaly build up on the shower from the iron in our water.

This time we are going with Acrylic with innovex, Solid Surface or Ceramic TIle.

Which of these will stand up to a good scrubbing the best or repel the iron scale the easiest?
Feb 18, 2014, 10:23 PM
Jaybee
A natural stone solid surface will clean the best without leaving any scratches although some types may be susceptible to certain types of staining.

Other solid surface will be similar to acrylics.

Ceramic tile will clean well, but the grout will not.

The key to cleaning the chemicals or minerals in your water is to clean often. Use a product like Lime-Away on a daily basis to cut down on any buildup. There are even automatic shower sprayers that spritz a mineral cleaner after each shower.

Jaybee
Feb 18, 2014, 10:32 PM
Aces
If the grout is well sealed would that make the ceramic the best option of the 3 choices I have?

Thanks!
Feb 19, 2014, 01:19 AM
ron45
You could make it extremely easy on yourself by getting your water tested and have a water treatment system installed.
Better drinking water
No more stains
Better for showering
Cleaner clothes without turning colors
etc..
Feb 19, 2014, 03:42 AM
Jaybee
Even sealed grout will stain and if it does, it's hard to clean as grout has a textured surface.

I think Ron has made the best point: If you have such a high mineral content your water is staining things, you could solve it at the source by having some form of filtering / softening system installed.

Jaybee
Feb 19, 2014, 07:33 AM
Aces
I am considering that also. We do filter the drinking water but not the rest of the water. So far from what we've looked at though, the filters we would need are huge and would take up a LOT of space.

Stupid well water. Sigh.
Feb 19, 2014, 07:52 AM
joecaption
There is no filter that going to work with iron in the water. It needs to be treated not filtered.
Still have old steel pipes? No amount of treating's is going to fix it.
Should have been replaced with Pex, CPVC or copper pipes long ago before they start leaking and plugging up on the insides.

joecaption
Feb 19, 2014, 09:44 AM
Aces
No our system is 15 years old. Pretty sure everything I have is CPVC.
Mar 09, 2014, 11:05 AM
lisa0606
Personally I think granite is the best choice. I found this article helpful in terms of evaluating different options:
Shower Info