DIY Message Boards
Installing tile above acrylic shower panels?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/3913991297

Dec 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
Asp722
Installing tile above acrylic shower panels?
I just moved into a new home and want to install a bathtub door for our tub/shower. The walls to our shower are relatively newly installed acrylic panels. Our home has low ceilings (below 8 feet) and the panels in the shower are super low - without touching the current set up, we would need a short door (55-56 inches) and i feel like my husband will have to duck every time he walks in and out. I would like to install tiles above the panels to the ceiling to allow the accommodation of a taller shower door and also in an effort to brighten and "elongate" the space. (We currently have a shower curtain hanging on a tension road (left by previous owner).) My concern, however, is that the tiles available are slightly thicker than the acrylic panels themselves, making a seamless shower door installation theoretical tricky. Is there anyway to successfully execute this project and even out the panel and tile? Or will we need to replace the panels and skip out on the tile? Any info is greatly appreciated!