DIY Message Boards
transition cement board to plaster wall

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/2963951377

Aug 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
Sheetmetalmatt
transition cement board to plaster wall
Hello. I am going to be re-doing the tile in my bathroom, and probably replacing the tub as well. The tile goes up about 4 feet in the main part of the bathroom and about 7 foot in the shower/tub area. I know I need to replace the walls where the tile is with cement board, but my question is...Can I cut and score the walls where the tile currently ends and the plaster begins and remove it down to the studs, and then replace just that area with cement board and transition it to the plaster wall above it. If so, how do I transition the cement board to the plaster. There is nothing wrong with the plaster walls, so I thought why not keep them. Also, where the floor cement board meets the wall, I am guessing I need to tape and thinset that joint too? Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Matt
Aug 19, 2013, 06:04 PM
Jaybee
You can install the backer board as an inset - install it up against the remaining plaster wall. The hard part is to gen an even plane on both the backer and the plaster. When done like this, I will install the tile so that about 2" of the outside row of tile is on the plaster as this will hide the backer to plaster seam.

It will not hurt to tape and thinset the backer on the floor to the backer on the wall. There is likely to be movement at this point anyway though so expect to see some hairline cracks at this joint in the future.

Jaybee
Aug 19, 2013, 07:49 PM
Sheetmetalmatt
Hey Jaybee, thanks for the quick response, I appreciate the help! I'll be tackling this project very soon and thought about doing it like you said, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going down the wrong path.