All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Shower Pan
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Shower Pan Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We are debating whether or not to redo our shower, roman tub and counter tile ourselves and are extremely hesitant. We have a fiberglass shower pan and horrific tile that we want to go. We resurfaced the cabinets ourselves...so, those can stay. We are concerned about pulling out the shower door and reinstalling it (it was custom made when we bought our house to replace the old one that was falling apart) and not sure what to do after removing the shower pan. We would like to tile the whole shower and the countertops. My dream is for someone to knock on my door and say..."we will redo your bathroom at no charge"...ha ha ha...never going to happen! So, that leaves us to DIY and are too scared. I forgot to add that the builder didn't leave any access to replace the tub valve, so the only way to fix a leaky valve or replace it with a new one...is to demo it! Any suggestions???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wtzhpnn,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Suggestions:

1. This is an all-or-nothing project, no way to do a partial job.
        2. If possible, find a new, premade shower pan to fit the new shower area. MUCH easier to work with. Building a shower pan from scratch takes some skill and experience - many ways to do it wrong and only a couple of ways to do it right.
        3. IF the scope of the project overwhelms you, or is simply beyond your DIY abilities, consider subcontracting out the parts you are uncomfortable with.
        4. Get a book on making a shower. Read it. then consider how much you can do yourself.

Jaybee

Posts: 10092 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        bad tub valve? cut an access panel hole in the back wall and replace it. get the access panel first, so you know what you have to open up, and how much to save.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5475 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        When an access panel is not present it may signal access is granted by removing the trim rings from inside the shower. But just throw this possibility out there. May not be so is also very true as well.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1391 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        which is OK if you can shut off the water, open up the valve to take off the pressure, and replace a cartridge. if the system is bad, you have to punch a big hole to replace it. I can see that happening on one of the old three-valve manifold jobbies. once you strip out the tool fittings for the valve seats, might as well replace that antique.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5475 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        We have no way of accesses the valves besides tearing the tile out...:-(

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        cut a hole BEHIND the shower valve
        replace the valve from the back.. that way you do not destroy tile... stick new valve thru the tile holes. and put the new trim on it. you can secure the valve from behind

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post