All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    plumbing in wall adjacent to master bedroom
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

plumbing in wall adjacent to master bedroom Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My master bath shower has a crack in the floor. I am looking to replace the insert with a tiled shower. The bath is fairly small and there is a wall between the shower and the toilet that the plumbing is currently running in. I am debating about removing the wall and using a frameless shower enclosure on the 2 sides. That would leave me running the plumbing in the wall that is adjacent to the master bedroom. My thought is if I insulate the wall that should quiet the sound of running water. Is this a bad idea? Or any suggestions?

wall on the left of the pic is the wall adjacent to master bed.

[IMG]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj154/ironhorsepilot/IMG_5663.jpg[/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IronHorsePilot,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        not much room in the wall cavity after you put the pipes in... pressure and venting both. so the best you are going to be able to do is buck down a batt of rockwool to half thickness behind the pipes.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5775 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It looks like someone wanted a bigger shower, so they did a little remodeling to solve the problem of too small a shower and probably too noisy of water pipes in the master bedroom. Or maybe this is a flipped house and they didn't care about doing it right. Have you owned it long, was it inspected, all kinds of questions are coming to mind.

Building codes require a minimum of 15 inches from the center of the toilet to a wall. I prefer a minimum of 18 inches. But it looks like you don't even have the minimum of the 15 required by code. I'm thinking they did the remodel without a permit, no inspector would allow that to fly. But I'm sitting here, no tape measure, looking at a pic, so maybe I'm wrong. (or if your inspectors are like my local Pacific Power people, they're sitting at a bar when I need them, so they don't care)

If someone were to open up for more room at the toilet, the shower valve would need to be moved over to the other wall, and the shower would have to be smaller. Perhaps the toilet flange would need to be moved over also. Yes you will end up with more noise in the master bedroom. Maybe the bathroom was totally remodeled and you need to put everything back where it was. That is to say, can the shower go over to the vanity area, and the vanity where the shower is?? Can you rob space from an adjoining room closet???

Your idea of going to a two wall glass enclosure would add some room next to that toilet, which is what I'm thinking you are looking to accomplish. But you'll still be too tight to the wall on the other side, unless you move the toilet flange. And the toilet won't be centered in the opening if you don't move the flange over a little.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 963 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I am the second owner of the house and it is approx 15 years old. Ive been in it 7 years. This is the origional layout. Building codes here is like honor among thieves. There really is none. When I built my shop the firecheif came out and looked at the wiring and said looks like a nice man cave, gave me my sticker and out he went. Im in an unincoporated county.

I will measure the distance from center of toilet to the walls adjacent.

I just didnt know if running the water lines in the adjoining walls was a bad idea or not.

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i have a suggestion for you
        demo the shower and the wall
        put in a shower pan, with a 1" glass wall inbetween the shower and toilet. you will gain 4 1/2" of space in the toilet room
        move shower valve to back wall, with the head spraying on the closed portion of the door opening

Posts: 3874 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there is 24" between the walls, so the toilet is centered 12" from side to side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IronHorsePilot,

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        your shower looks to be a 5' shower...demo the shower, demo the toilet...go back with a 36"x36" shower,
        and move the toilet over to around 24"
        OR<<< a 48x36 shower,

Posts: 3874 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Its a 48" shower.

quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        your shower looks to be a 5' shower...demo the shower, demo the toilet...go back with a 36"x36" shower,
        and move the toilet over to around 24"
        OR<<< a 48x36 shower,

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        ouch!!!
        ok, demo the shower, demo wall between toilet and demo toilet.
        make the whole darn thing a walk in shower with a toilet in the shower..seal the shower pan around the toilet flange, and showerr flange,,after you set the toilet seal around the bottom of the toilet. use the toilet as a chair to sit on and wash or shave legs..