DIY Message Boards
Water trough bathtub

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/1883996177

Jun 28, 2013, 04:13 PM
Mbidelspach
Water trough bathtub
Hi. Adding a bathroom and I want to use a galvanized water trough for the bathtub. Any ideas on how to add a fiberglass (or any other kind of durable) lining to the inside of the water trough?
Thanks in advance!
Jun 28, 2013, 06:52 PM
Frodo
its not a legal bath tub. all fixtures have to have a ANSI/ASME sticker. i know this is your house, and you wannado what you wanna do. but you think about resale
if you put in an illigeal tub, you wont sell the house till its changed out'
reason its illigeal, the surface is not sealed
its metal, with nooks and crannies. where little microscopic critters live and bred. if you have it fiberglassed. it still has no astm sticker
a plumbing insp. will red tag it in a minute
sorry....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Jun 29, 2013, 11:29 AM
Mbidelspach
Hi. Maybe I'm wrong but according to the international plumbing code (IPC) how would adding a sealed fiberglass liner to my tub be any different than having a tiled shower stall that I did myself? According to the IBC, as long as I seal all the joints correctly and the surfaces are "impervious, nonabsorbent and waterproof" shouldn't I be okay?
Jun 29, 2013, 08:01 PM
Frodo
your 100% correct, heck your 150% correct. i dont make the rules. all that is above my pay grade.
we have discussed this between plumbers before
makes no since to me. but thats the code. there is a remedy...call your local bldg department. and ask the plumbing authority for a variance , explain what your doing. if he says ok. your good to go. get it in writing
i saw a BEAUTIFUL red wood stump, with a carved out bowl and a hole in it for a drain, it was sealed with some kind of sealer, plbg insp turned it down cold. no ANSI/ASME sticker.

[URL= 402.5.2 No individual, public or private corporation, firm, political subdivision, government agency, or other legal entity, may, for purposes of use in the state of Washington, distribute, sell, offer for sale, import, install, or approve for installation any plumbing fixtures or fittings unless the fixtures or fittings meet the standards as provided for in this Section. ] 402.5.2 No individual, public or private corporation, firm, political subdivision, government agency, or other legal entity, may, for purposes of use in the state of Washington, distribute, sell, offer for sale, import, install, or approve for installation any plumbing fixtures or fittings unless the fixtures or fittings meet the standards as provided for in this Section. [/URL]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Jun 30, 2013, 04:12 PM
Mbidelspach
Thanks, I'm going to check out the regulations for where I live in Pennsylvania.
Jul 01, 2013, 11:03 AM
swschrad
I think the short version is... neighhhhhh!

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?