All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Stubborn water yellow stain in bathtub
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Stubborn water yellow stain in bathtub Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have this yellow stain right below the bathtub faucet. I tried to remove with bleach, Clorox 2, brush and it's still there. Any tip or trick to get rid of this? Or should I just sand paper over it and repaint?

Posts: 284 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Last thing you want to use is any abrasive.
        It would wear off the finish that protects the tub.

Pick up a product like "The Works".
        Any dollar store, Wal-Mart, grocery store should have it.
        It's powerful stuff, one squirt and it's gone.
        Just rinse it off.
        May want to consider a water softener to remove the iron.

joecaption

Posts: 18046 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Sometimes a paper towel saturated with straight white vinegar can dissolve any hard water deposit that often can hold onto a stain like this. Leave it wet and pressed down, in contact with the area overnight.

A Pummie pumice stone (Used while there is water above the area, in order to keep it wet) can also remove hard water scale. Often the scale is where the stain has adhered, not into the actual porcelain.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I've had really good luck using Tide to clean bathroom stains. You could put a little bit of it on a rag and rub the stain, or put some in a spritzer and spray it on.

Posts: 1978 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Just a quick update. I tried all of the above and none worked. Then I bought this Rush Stain Remover from Home Depot and it was awesome.

Posts: 284 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        As you can see, 5 min after I sprayed it on, the stain was GONE. You could see the difference between area that I sprayed (top) vs. didn't get sprayed (bottom).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: quanghoc,

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Excellent! So glad you found a product that worked on your bathtub stain.
        And especially...thanks for reporting back and sharing as to what worked for you!!! You may have helped many others with similar stains.Smile

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Glad you found something that worked well for you.

I'm curious as to what the active ingredients are?

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Check out the link, Garden Sprite? I also really like the Goof Off line of products, but was unaware of this one. Looks like oxalic acid might be a common active ingredient?
        http://www.goofoffproducts.com...t/rust-stain-remover

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Conrad, thanks for the link. At first I thought I missed it - old age, you know Wink.

It does contain oxalic acid. Now I have another use for my rhubarb plants! Just for the fun of it, I'll try using a rhubarb leaf on some tub stains, although I suspect that it's just the oxalic acid in combination with other ingredients that creates the cleansing power.

Ya never know.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
        I don't even know what oxalic acid is...too lazy to google. It just works. LOL

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Oxalic is a compound in rhubarb stalks which can be dangerous to individuals with certain medical conditions. My father was cautioned some years ago to limit consumption of rhubarb for that reason.

The leaves have a more concentrated level and from what I've read are toxic.

On the other hand, the leaves can also be used as forms for ambitious gardeners or landscapers who want to make their own designer stepping stones. That's on my "bucket list". I think ferns and rhubarb leaves would make an interesting design combination for my stepping stones.

Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Often Oxalic acid can be purchased at hardware stores. Good for carefully bleaching out areas of wood, (that have become darkly stained), and cleaning rust stains from concrete. As with most acids, careful use/handling and limited exposure to a surface is needed.
        I think using the rhubarb would not offer as much danger. Wink