DIY Message Boards
building a shower with a large window in it

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/1683904108

Feb 21, 2014, 12:36 AM
gypsyredo
building a shower with a large window in it
Hi all,
New to the site but not to the discussion. Remodeling, renovating, and all things home is my favorite discussion. I am in the process of designing my master bath in our new addition. I am putting the shower on the short end of the bathroom. It faces south into our private, fenced backyard. I want to put a window, nearly floor to ceiling in the shower(4w x 7h) I want the kind that has the blinds built in. What would be the best interior material to use?
Feb 21, 2014, 01:07 AM
Jaybee
Because of the interior blinds, your window will come with an attached frame. I know you can get them in vinyl and probably aluminum - either can work for what you want to do.

So you have waterproof glass with a waterproof frame - just trim up to that with whatever surround material you use. Solid surface or tile will work.

We've done many showers that are similar to this, although for privacy we have installed glass block windows. The process for a regular window is the same though. Usually the surround material will slightly overlap the frame around the glass.

You don't say what part of the country you are from so cold temperatures could be a factor. You may want to see if you can find your window in a triple pane design, for greater R-value. Even at that this could make for a cold shower in winter and/or some heavy fogging.

Jaybee
Feb 21, 2014, 06:30 AM
ron45
http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ge-article-1.1421959
Feb 21, 2014, 11:34 AM
GardenSprite
Interesting case, but I note that it seems to be at the lowest level of a Manhattan court. Hopefully the aggrieved family will appeal.

In the meantime, I think I'll close all my drapes and curtains. Frown
Feb 21, 2014, 06:31 PM
Jaybee
Just guessing but I bet there is a huge difference between the OP's "private, fenced yard" and an apartment complex with all glass walls that view onto a public street.

It's still creepy but anyone living in that urban setting has got to be aware that anyone looking their way will see the interior of their home. I know there are some expectation of privacy legal terms that apply but it appears that being behind a piece of glass is the same as being out in public. Which in a way makes sense.

OTOH, the OP indicates that there is no public place to view into his bathroom. If it takes climbing his fence or entering his private yard to take a picture - I bet those pics would not be ruled the same in court.

Jaybee