All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Toilet Rough in too far from wall
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Toilet Rough in too far from wall Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I had a third Bathroom roughed in in our basement when building our home. I just had an estimate to refinish a 3rd Bed/Bath and my contractor notice the toilet rough in was almost 22in from the unfinished wall. Had anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions besides a bump out behind the toilet?
        Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Unless you are really pressed for space in that area, take a look to see what would happen if the new basement bath wall is framed out from the block wall so that there is a standard 12-1/2" distance from CL of the toilet drain to the framing walls surface. Also check how the toilet drain lines up with the future tub drain.

That's the most common reason I've seen for roughing-in the drain so far out from the block wall. Aside from that, your options are:

1. Leave a huge space behind the toilet. Will look kinda strange.

2. Cut out concrete, relocate toilet drain closer to wall. Very expensive and very messy.

3. A compromise. Move the framed wall out so that there is still a 2" to 3" gap between the back of the toilet and the finished wall. Not enough to look bad.

Jaybee

Posts: 10126 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the info, after doing some reading, if we frame the wall 8" out & get a 14 in rough in toilet we should be good.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you could also put shelves behind and above the toilet without getting in the way of servicing it later.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5490 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post