All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Replacing neo angle shower
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Replacing neo angle shower Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a large master bath with a cheap 36x36 neo angle shower. I'd like to replace it with a larger square or rectangle shower. I am unsure of how difficult it is to move the drain, rough-in valve, and shower head since they are set for a neo angle. I'm currently looking at a 36 x 48 frameless corner shower (basically just two glass walls). To keep costs down, I'd prefer to use a pre-fab shower surround instead of tiling. However, the only 36 x 48 shower surrounds I can find are for alcoves, not corners. This means there are three walls instead of two. Can I use two of the walls, or will this lead to potential leaks?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You can use the framing from the two existing walls and construct a third. There should be no leak worries if you are using a surround unit. The hard part is setting the new locations for supply and drain plumbing - best path there is to hire a plumber for this part. The rest is all cosmetic and should be fairly easy for a moderately talented DIYer.

One thing to remember before you purchase your surround. As this is a remodel, you will not be able to maneuver a full size shower unit into the bath. You'll need to look for a remodel style - one that has a base and one or two parts to the surround.

Jaybee

Posts: 10361 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        my opinion, would to use the prefab base and a tile wall, as for the plumbing, if your not handy, hire a plumber. if your handy,,,get-er-done!!
        also, have you seen cultured marble?

Posts: 3881 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post