DIY Message Boards
Drain pipe under sink won't fit

This topic can be found at:

Jan 24, 2014, 12:49 AM
Drain pipe under sink won't fit
I have the pipe running under the new sink and it is just off a little bit. Basically: I need to move right 2" and up 3". See photos. I got two questions:

1. The second photo shows a little ring / knot (red rectangle) which is where the black pipe piece connect to the pipe in the wall. Is there a way to move this ring or replace it? I am not sure what it is. Because I need that ring to move back 2 inches so I can push the pipe in further.

2. Regarding the 3 inches gap vertical, is there a short pipe I can connect in between? Or do I have to replace the whole S shape pipe with longer end?

Jan 24, 2014, 01:04 AM
Go out and get new parts, this will set you back about $10 and save you lots of frustration. That compression ring is supposed to be easily movable. There is so much corrosion there that it's stuck. That thin-wall drain pipe sucks anyway - make it older like what you have and it's getting paper thin.

Get new parts, same shape as to what you have. There is an extension piece for that extra 3" you need. If you are a DIYer, go for the plastic pipe - way easier to work with and make small adjustments.

Jan 24, 2014, 01:15 PM
if you can't find a thick brass tailpiece for the sink drain, usually plated, go for PVC. get the depth right. get a new P-trap.

put everything in place loose and flexy, slide the parts until they line up square, then tighten the rings hand tight, put another half turn on, and check for leaks. nothing in that picture that can't be fixed into correct position once you have pieces that adjust again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jan 25, 2014, 08:20 AM
Love the tape job. What no Leakender 2000? How many times have we tucked our heads in a base cabinet to witness such jury rigged set ups?
Chrome traps like those rust from the inside out, always that surprise when you attach the leaking connection.

As I always say "What would Curley do"? Methinks something more creative than this.
All kidding aside, aligning a P trap I do feel like Jerome Horawitz sometimes.
Top shelf advise guys, as the norm. !!! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CommonwealthSparky,

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
Jan 26, 2014, 04:27 PM
The short piece you need is called a tail piece extension. They come in different lengths.