All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Problems with Small Shower
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Problems with Small Shower Sign In/Join 
        Picture of wareagle2334
        posted
        I recently bought a house built in the late 50's. There is a master bath that has been added on. The shower stall is extremely small and at one point had a door on it. At some point the door was removed and a shower rod and curtain were put up.

Due to the stall being made with a door the bottom has a very small lip. The curtain does nothing to stop the water. I have been in this house 6 months now and have yet to use that shower.

During the inspection it was found water was getting to the subfloor because the previous owners used the shower and the quarter round/base board rotted and the water continued downward.

My question is how can I create a barrier to keep water from getting out? Should I buy a new door and put it up?

I'd love any comments and suggestions.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Your simplest, least expensive and most effective solution will be to get another door. For small showers, you are looking at $150 and a couple of hours install but once in place, you'll keep the water inside the shower where it belongs.

For a small shower, a curtain just doesn't work very well. it is possible, if the curtain is long enough and is weighted at the bottom, but you have to be very careful that it remains hanging as it should - hard to do with the shower spray so close.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of wareagle2334
        posted Hide Post
        I had a feeling that would be the best option

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have a small bathroom and a very small shower. When you opened the door it would hit the sink. I found this shower door called SHUB and installed it myself maybe 10+ years ago. It works like a window shade the door retracts on a spring and is out of the way after the shower. It doesn't stay wet because it's got a squeegee thing that wipes it down as it's retracting. My shower is actually so small I got the trailer size which saved me a ton of money.
        It works on a track on top and bottom (and sides, of course)and have never had an issue with water getting out of the shower and onto the floor.
        I know it sounds weird but I've never regretted it all these years and it's still in perfect condition!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaysmom49,

Posts: 82 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        JM, does the door retract sideways or does it retract upward to a bar installed between the walls?

Your description of the self cleaning operation sounds like something worth exploring, so I did some quick checking. So far the doors I've found retract sideways and requiring mounting on the walls and apparently the tub. Is this the kind you have?

What's not clear is whether they need to be mounted on the bathroom or shower wall (i.e., through the tile).

What about water accumulation in the track on the top of the tub (or shower in your case)? This is the reason I removed my sliding glass door in the first place - it was hard to clean and water accumulated in the track. Squeegeeing it out was a nuisance.

If yours is self cleaning, that's the door for me!

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sorry, got caught up with the weather yesterday. I have a stall shower and (believe it or not) the side tracks are connected by double faced tape and then I ran a bead of caulk around the edge to keep the tape from getting wet. I suppose it could be screwed into the side walls of the shower but it never occurred to me to do it. It retracts sideways and when pulled out snaps on to a track on the other side. Just had to go upstairs to look at the bottom track. It sits "sideways" so the water runs out and back into the shower stall. Never had a problem with water pooling.
        The more I explain it the more weird it sounds but it has worked for me. I can try to take some pics in the light later today.
        If you google SHUB installation manual it might explain it better.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        JM, thanks for the information. Hope the weather wasn't too problematic for you - unfortunately, it's that time of the year!

I just assumed that the side tracks would be installed rather than affixed, especially given the fact that they slide back and forth. Your idea is much simpler!

I will check out the manual; I found plenty of sources for photos of doors sliding back and forth but little information beyond that. I'm especially interested in finding more details, with hopefully photos, of how the water just slides off into the tub.

Thanks again for the info.

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think changing the door is a good idea so that the water will not get out.Well last time that i encounter problem about my bathroom in my home in Finland i use to do it renovation and make some space in order for me to feel comfortable when taking shower and this year i am planning to have another renovation for it for changing bathroom tiles or Kylpyhuoneremontti.

Posts: 11 | Location: Philippines | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post