DIY Message Boards
installing cedar post

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5733972247/m/7173946377

Sep 07, 2013, 07:54 PM
IndianaGuy
installing cedar post
I want to install a 4x4 cedar address post. I'm thinking I'll go 2.5 ft deep and pack the post in with gravel. I'm planning to stain the post, then coat it with Wolman RainCoat to protect it. I was wondering whether it made sense to tar the lower 2.5' of the post to further protect against rotting. Any advice?
Sep 09, 2013, 01:33 PM
swschrad
worth doing, particularly if you live in an area with powder post beetles. I'd prefinish the post and then tar it up. put an inch or two of gravel in the hole first, then set the pole, so there is additional drainage past the open grain on the end.

cheap old farmers up in these parts soak fencepost bottoms in a 5-gallon bucket half full of old motor oil. that stuff would kill a buzzard.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Sep 10, 2013, 10:54 AM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by swschrad:

cheap old farmers up in these parts soak fencepost bottoms in a 5-gallon bucket half full of old motor oil. that stuff would kill a buzzard.

And would get them in trouble with the EPA, and could cause a default in any mortgage on their property, since mortgagees began adding hazardous waste provisions to mortgages years ago.

But I suspect the "cheap old farmers" have their own opinions.