All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Antique buffet drawer glide NOT 'gliding!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Antique buffet drawer glide NOT 'gliding! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We have a very large old beautiful oak mirrored buffet that has a bottom storage drawer. When I opened it the other day, the drawer 'pivoted' from side to side from the middle and I couldn't get it to open fully. My husband got it opened and we discovered that there is only one wooden 'glide' or 'slide' in the center of the drawer, but there are none on the sides.

Neither the drawer or glide was damaged or even loose, but we can't figure out why it would have pivoted back and forth. We did not put the drawer back in, because we're afraid it won't open again.

We are going to attach glides to each side, which we think will remedy the problem, but should they be METAL or WOOD? I think wood will help keep the integrity of the old wooden buffet. But they won't be visible, only necessary to the function of the piece.

Your input, please?

Posts: 90 | Location: Midwest | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would use wood and also rub a candle on the surfaces that contact each other. just make certain that you leave a little side play to allow for expansion and contraction of the wood

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you might also consider melting the wax onto the wood glides. you will have to protect the "glue me" side with tape, but it's an old ski trick. melting the wax and then pouring it on the wood will get better penetration into the pores, and the slickery should last longer.

of course, wax is flammable, don't force it. use a double-boiler setup on a well-controlled heat source... a cheap disposeable pan inside a larger one full of water actually holds the wax... and keep a BC rated extinguisher and maybe even a bucket of sand handy.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5520 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi BigDogLou,

Another method of making the guide slippery is by using a bar of hand soap and rubbing it along both edges of the center guide. Then also run the bar of soap on counter guide in the drawer so that both surfaces are coated with some of the bar of soap.

Using this method is less of a problem since you do not have to deal with heat. You may have to touch of the guides after a couple of months if you find they fail to slide easily. Just don't get too much of a build of soap on the guides unevenly as it may cause them stick a bit. In such a case you may need to use flat blade to scrape and smooth out or remove some the excess soap along the guide edges.

Some thoughts to consider.

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Simply_Me,

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I wouldn't use soap because it will absorb moisture from the air and cause further problems., nor would I use molten wax because of the fire hazard and a mess with the excess wax.
        Just rubbing a candle over the surfaces will eventually be distributed over the areas needing lub'ing

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        nona is probably right about not using soap.
        i dont know, maybe it swells the wood up.
        but.. my grandma used ivory soap on her drawers for years..
        we have the dish hutch's now and use ivory on them today

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I've used wood on drawer glides (as well as on curtain rods) for years but it never occurred to me that soap could absorb moisture and create problems. Guess I'll have to rethink this whole issue.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Frodo, I had to laugh about your g'ma using ivory soap on her drawers, my g'ma used lye soap, OH, you meant cabinet drawers, so sorry Razz Razz Razz

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i'll never tell

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post