All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Ideas for a push button release?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Ideas for a push button release? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        It's very safe to say that I am craftfully challenged. This is my first attempt at building anything, so please keep that in mind.

I'm trying to build an endtable with a push button on the back, that opens a hidden side compartment. The side of the endtable just folds down once released. Then I want to just lift it back up and have it latch back shut. I'm trying to stay away from anything electronic.

I'm hoping to install the button on the back of the table, mounted on the side with the hidden compartment.

My ideal scenerio would be for me to close the compartment by lifting it up and having it latch onto something that holds it shut. Then to push the button on the back that unlatches it to open. I hope this makes sense. I can picture it in my head, but I can't find anything at all that allows me to accomplish this. Does anyone have any ideas or can you point me in the right direction for some ideas?

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        There are magnetic spring catches that screw onto the frame with a little metal catch on the "door" that holds it closed. All one does is push on the panel and the panel pops open. Put the panel back so the magnets catch and it's closed. Available at big box stores and probably most hardware stores. Look by the pulls, knobs and catches section.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Awesome. Thanks so much!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post