All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Wood for in wall cabinet
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Wood for in wall cabinet Sign In/Join 
        posted
        While I've done standalone wood projects before this is the first time I've integrated into my home. I've got a space in my wall with measurements of 91 5/8 H x 16 1/2 W x 19 3/8 D.

Not worried about color because it will be hidden, more concerned on what material to use. Of the precut materials only MDF has the diameter of 19 3/8. I found precut and pre drilled melamine with right height and width but not diameter (only 15 3/4).

Do I get two boards and join with glue and biscuits?

Insight is very appreciated.

Tank you

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if that's an exterior wall, you will have deterioration from moisture. it will, of course, displace insulation there. you'd have to wrap it with seamless plastic and red-tape it to the existing vapor barrier.

I wouldn't use MDF myself, but then I'm a red-oak kind of guy. oak, you can biscuit and keep strength, or use oak plywood for the back. MDF, as soon as you mess with it, you weaken it. it's only fibers and glue, you know. the melamine coated stuff is going to have a visible seam, and it will erode at the seam in time.

double plus the cost, but consider an in-wall cabinet as a lifetime thing, so ought to do it to last IMPHO.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5470 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What swschrad said about exterior walls is correct. If its interior I would use a cabinet grade of American made plywood (if you have a ton of patience and help use the Chinese stuff). Plywood is much more stable. You'll pay more for the American stuff, but it's really more stable. You will have some place that sell many varieties of wood. Cabinet plywood is graded by a letter on one side and a number on the other. For example 'A' '1' has the best veneer on it. 'D' '4', is more of a paint grade. Hope this helps.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        FYI, for those of you who want to know more about lumber and plywood, this link is an excellent resource, they used to put this info in a book and I guard mine like a hawk.
        http://www.paxtonwood.com/

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post