All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Online plans for bookcases, cabinetry?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Online plans for bookcases, cabinetry? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all, I thought I would turn my efforts to building some bookcases and shelving for dvd's. Anyone know of good online sites that offer downloadable plans? Thanks for your time.

Posts: 27 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Feb 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Depends on how sophisticated you want your bookcases to be and whether you want free plans or are willing to pay to download them.

If you want something elaborate and decorative like Arts & Crafts bookcases, do a Google search for those plans. If you want something more simple and straightforward, try searching for simple bookcases. Add "free plans" to the search or you'll get a lot of links to books or plans for sale.

I've always thought that Wood Magazine has some excellent plans, but they're too complicated for me. Fine Woodworking is another magazine with sometimes sophisticated plans.

http://www.finewoodworking.com...-and-crafts-bookcase

E.g., here's a simple bookcase for which you probably wouldn't even need plans:

http://pinterest.com/pin/101471797826845934/

Here's a more complicated one:
        http://www.woodstore.net/babo.html

Several different styles:
        http://plansnow.com/bookcases.html

Popular Woodworking used to have fairly straight forward plans.

If you want to get really, really, really elaborate and add high end decorative inserts like marquetry or intarsia to your bookcases, check out Creative Woodworking and Crafts for various patterns of small objects - you could incorporate the designs from these plans into a bookcase plan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks much for the ideas and links.

Posts: 27 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Feb 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Orion, you can buy some diy woodworking books on amazon or search for full woodworking plans that give step-by-step instructions. They will help you easily follow the steps.
        Check out this site: http://woodworkexperts.com/cat...commended-resources/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ericwood,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I didn't think about Amazon. Also, thanks for the link.

posted Hide Post
        Maybe I'm too late on this, but what ever plans you use, double check them for accuracy. My experience is, their measurements aren't correct. Plan for waste.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'm sorry, what I meant to say is sometimes a measurement may be incorrect.

posted Hide Post
        You're right. The plan I picked out had two places where the diagram was wrong as far as where to place a dado. Luckily, with one I realized it before I cut, and the other one was a small piece that I just recut.

posted Hide Post
        Ok, I agree that sometimes plans make you confused with their incorrect measurement.But atleast we can get basic directions and they provide many designs. For beginning woodworkers, I think plans are very helful for their first projects.
        If you don't like plans, you could join some more woodworking forums like this one, or search step-by-step instructions on youtube. HaveFun.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I just meant that as a warning. I wish I'd would have a place to bounce questions off of when I started working with wood 30 years ago. I have found Fine Woodworking to be an excellent. I'm going to try to get back into it. Thanks.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Orion, This also happens in nonwoodworking patterns, particularly in needlework. The commercial patterns from the major pattern houses are generally correct, but often very confusing. Patterns posted online and sometimes in magazines can contain minor to major errors.

I think the errors in patterns crosses boundaries of various crafts enjoyed by both men and women.

MO Mark, I think years ago woodworking clubs served to interpret problematic and/or inaccurate patterns; now it's woodworking forum(s) online, although woodworking clubs are still active.

Perhaps you can find a local woodworking club to share your interest.

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post