DIY Message Boards
Got lots of free old beams, want to figure out what to do with them now

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5721916776/m/8063922277

Jul 15, 2013, 02:07 PM
whelmed
Got lots of free old beams, want to figure out what to do with them now
I went to a place out in the middle of nowhere as they were advertising 'free wood'. The idea was to get a bunch of free beams to make a farm table with the reclaimed wood for our dining room.

After packing my truck full of stuff, the guy asked if I wanted to have a 1930's solid walnut table from Italy. All it needs is a sand, stain and coat of poly and it'll look like new.

So now, I've got a ton of big wood beams and no idea what to do with them. The 2x8 and 2x10's I can use for a picnic table and maybe a few of the 4x4's as well. I've got a bunch of 4"x12"x4' and 4"x10"x4 which will make great benches. But I'm left wondering what to do with the 6x4's I got as well as these massive 8x8x6' beams. Any project ideas for that much wood other than maybe a retaining wall for a garden?
Jul 15, 2013, 02:27 PM
swschrad
that's old tight-grain wood you will never find again. so why not make end tables, bedside tables, coffee tables, maybe stools or chairs, butcher block, etc.

oh, the things you can do with flat stable quarter-sawn lumber...

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Jul 15, 2013, 03:57 PM
whelmed
The bedside table just got me thinking about a bed frame as well. Could make an entire bedroom set from some of it (bed+bedside table). Thanks for that! :-)

Re chairs - wouldn't that require smaller bits of wood? I'm going for idea where I don't have to chop up the wood very much as I'd like to have it shown off, if you will, that it's old, big, and massive.
Jul 15, 2013, 07:12 PM
GardenSprite
Maybe trellises for the garden?
Jul 16, 2013, 02:23 PM
nona
I'm drooling, how come I never get offers like that ?
Jul 16, 2013, 06:26 PM
GardenSprite
Nona, some of my father's walnut trees have your name on them.

I'm waiting for a load of ice and snow being brought from Alaska on the Sunshine Truck. After I immerse myself in the cold snow, I'll dry out the truck and send you a few trees, if I can convince my father to cut them down. Big Grin He doesn't want to part with them but I say the ones providing access by the squirrels to the house need to go.

I too would love to discover a source for the kind of wood Whelmed has found. Most of the free wood I've seen is the kind no one wants, which is why it's free, although I did get some really nice pieces when a neighbor added on a garage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Jul 16, 2013, 10:04 PM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by GardenSprite:
Nona, some of my father's walnut trees have your name on them.

I'm waiting for a load of ice and snow being brought from Alaska on the Sunshine Truck. After I immerse myself in the cold snow, I'll dry out the truck and send you a few trees, if I can convince my father to cut them down. Big Grin

I too would love to discover a source for the kind of wood Whelmed has found. Most of the free wood I've seen is the kind no one wants, which is why it's free, although I did get some really nice pieces when a neighbor added on a garage.