All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    correct blade for cutting aluminum?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

correct blade for cutting aluminum? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I need to cut an aluminum square tube, 1 1/2" square, with 1/8" thick walls. I have a 9" circular saw blade that I'd like to use for this purpose, but have not been able to determine if this type blade will work. I will attach a photo of the blade. Can anyone answer this question? If it's not correct, what would be better? I am hoping to not have to buy a new blade for this small project. Thanks, Susan

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        that's a wood framing blade, and it does not look like it's carbide tipped. absolutely not the blade for the job.

ideally you would use a grit blade to cut metal. a very fine toothed carbide blade might work, but you risk flipping a few carbide tips hither and yon. it will also sound like six trains colliding in a tunnel, and saw and work will jump. it's a dangerous combination with thin metal, and possibly very dangerous with 1/8 thick.

should be able to get a grit composite blade for that saw at a good home center or tool store.

if you have all day, you're better off using a hand hacksaw than the blade you're showing. even better if it's a tension saw and you have a bimetal blade in it. a 12-16 tpi hacksaw blade is kewl. for that matter, if you have a reciprocating (Sawzall) saw handy, get 8-inch metal fine blades for that guy, and have at it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5711 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks very much!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        that's a wood framing blade, and it does not look like it's carbide tipped. absolutely not the blade for the job.

ideally you would use a grit blade to cut metal. a very fine toothed carbide blade might work, but you risk flipping a few carbide tips hither and yon. it will also sound like six trains colliding in a tunnel, and saw and work will jump. it's a dangerous combination with thin metal, and possibly very dangerous with 1/8 thick.

should be able to get a grit composite blade for that saw at a good home center or tool store.

if you have all day, you're better off using a hand hacksaw than the blade you're showing. even better if it's a tension saw and you have a bimetal blade in it. a 12-16 tpi hacksaw blade is kewl. for that matter, if you have a reciprocating (Sawzall) saw handy, get 8-inch metal fine blades for that guy, and have at it.

that answer is a ..

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        No way would I use a carbide grit blade to cut aluminum.
        The blade your showing looks like the original blade that comes with a cheap circuler saw and is about useless when it was new.
        Any 40 tooth carbide tipped ciruler saw blade will go thorough it like butter.
        I used to work in company's that cut aluminum all day long and never once saw a carbide grit blade used.

joecaption

Posts: 18025 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Sadly we use whatever is in the circle saw at the time. Talk about being lazy....

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1430 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        well, you can't use a CAM laser machine to cut aluminum (or ice or glass) because there is too much reflection off the material, and it burns the mirrors off the laser. costly mutha.

so just ANYthing lying around is not gonna do it.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5711 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        you need a portable band saw. or a sawzall

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Port-a-bands are a rather amazing portable cutting machine to work with.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1430 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        metal cutting blades are available for your jig saw. I use them, cheap and easily replaced

Posts: 2535 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        a bandsaw is the only tool i know of that you have to hold on a 45 degree angle to cut a 90 degree angle. with pratice it actually becomes easy