All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Dado cut with chicago electric sliding compound mitre saw
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Dado cut with chicago electric sliding compound mitre saw Sign In/Join 
        Picture of alan4
        posted
        It's existing 12 inch blade on this saw. Is it possible to replace it with dado set? I ask because I am not sure if the screw length is long enough to hold more than a blade. I had asked the salesman. He said I cannot do that on mitre saw; only table saw. Salesmen don't always tell truth. I may make a mistake. It does not happen often. The sliding mitre saw weighs 51 lbs. heavy enough.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alan4,

Posts: 87 | Location: US | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If you have a crush on one of the nurses in the emergency room, go for it. Otherwise, don't even think of it. I've been involved in woodworking for more years that I'd care to admit and never saw anything that said to do that. It even sounds dangerous.
        If you don't have a router or table saw, then make the dado with multiple parallel cuts and chisel out the waste and sand smooth
        I wouldn't even do it with a radial arm saw, though I'm sure there are those that think otherwise

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2572 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of alan4
        posted Hide Post
        Nona,

I am surprised to hear this comment. Real surprised. Since you mention years of woodworking experience behind you, I cannot disagree. Thank you.

I will eventually buy this 12 inch sliding machine providing I will do repetitive parallel cuts with time waste, but it is safer. Safety really counts. What hurry? Actually I plan to do a few dado cuts but no more than several times a day. So I don't need to replace blade at all. Maybe one hour or two at most a day.

Too bad I am not able to chase a nurse since I am generally in good health. I may be lucky, but it may have its disadvantage.

Posts: 87 | Location: US | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there are several major issues. one, the arbor is not long enough to hold a dado set. two, it won't fit inside the blade guard. three, there is not enough guard there to protect you against a big flying chip or, worse, a big flying carbide tooth. four, the swing arm does not hold in position to generate a uniformly deep cut where you want it. five, the guide assembly is not going to adequately support your wood.

I could go on and on, but this is like using a chain saw to pop a zit. wrong tool entirely.

now, if you were to get one of their table/router combos, and buy some extra feather boards, you could route all the dados you want, with any of the famous 20% off coupons, for a hundred bucks. you can get a 10-inch miter and that router/table for less than the 12 inch miter saw alone.

he who dies with the most tools wins, and he who has the most tools and dies a natural death far later than the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd wins largest of all.

stay safe, wear all your protection. with dados, that includes a full face mask.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5818 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of alan4
        posted Hide Post
        Good reply. Thanks. I want to correct one item about the swing arm that does not hold in position. That Chicago Electric 12 inch saw has a screw that holds any depth position. Harbor Freight. Some other lower priced models don't have it.

I nevertheless consider much light weighed 10 inch miter costs 99 dollars. Disadvantage: no screw depth cut I will be shopping for 10 inch Ryobi or Sears craftsman with this capability. Hope so.
        If none, homemade shift wood stick might do to hold depth position. Not bad idea.

The thought about having dado set on mitre saw is dashed. I have small skil table saw with router.
        And mask.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alan4,

posted Hide Post
        one little thumbscrew won't hold the swing arm in position with the chatter and pulsing of a dado blade. a benefit of using a table saw is that you have a screw drive for both depth and angle of cut, which is more inertial resistance. and the screw multiplies the force of the lockdown screw. that's why they make dado blades for table saws, not whatever handheld you come up with. you still need the riving blades and a stout support system to reduce the chance of catching on a knot or random flaw in a dry board and throwing the work at you.

good choice to downsize the miter and think of routing this project.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5818 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of alan4
        posted Hide Post
        You are correct. I now see I don't make it clear. I am still considering 12 inch Chicago Electric miter saw because it has a depth screw for multiple repetitive parallel cuts.Forget about dado blade. Hope dashed. You explained very well. I am still interested in this model as it is. This screw option impresses me; unique because many other models don't have this feature! I am sure that this accompanying (existing) blade for this miter saw would not have much impact on the screw for multiple repetitive cuts. Time waste, but not much. I was taught when little every second is precious. Now I hesitate.

Also, I should consider table saw; dado blade capability. I like router,too.router can make dado cuts.
        I still have hope.

You explain nicely. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
        I would go with the table saw first since it will allow the option of ripping as well as dado cuts.

Posts: 841 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of alan4
        posted Hide Post
        Harbor Freight displays 10 inch sliding saw with screw adjustment for depth. The whole set costs 97.00.
        A good bargain. I had always thought 12 inch only has this feature. I was at the store again yesterday.

Table saw is still considered handy. One small disadvantage. No blade guard. Old skilman model 3400.
        I have to watch. Maybe I need to make a new wood guard then placing on top of crosscut sled handles.