All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Sealers
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Sealers Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm doing a fireplace mantel, korbles, and a matching rail around the hearth. I'm using Minwax oil-based pigmented stains on cedar. I was thinking of using a polyurethane finish because it is heat resistant, although the fireplace is barely warm to the touch 5 inches or so from the opening. But that leaves open the question of a sealer.
        1) Do I need a sealer between the stain and the polyurethane? (I haven't decided on gel or varnish, although I hear varnish is more heat resistant.)
        2) I expect I do need a sealer prior to staining the ends to prevent disproportionate stain absorption. Some use glue size for endgrains prior to staining, but I believe glue size is very sensitive to heat. Wax-free shellac might be another possibility, but, again, sensitive to heat. However, the ends of the mantel are quite away from the opening of the fireplace. Perhaps heat is not an issue for that application? Is it really an issue for any of the work?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Posts: 95 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'd go with a pre-stain sealer to even out the stain over different grain, then stain, then go straight to poly coats.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10471 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post