DIY Message Boards
Bookcase Brackets

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5721916776/m/4553908277

Aug 05, 2013, 03:46 PM
FDPoston
Bookcase Brackets
Over 20 years ago, I bought a batch of brackets that made building bookcases and such much easier, but I haven't been able to find them since. Anyone know where they can be purchased? Picture shows the '3-way' bracket for a single shelf. They also made simple corner brackets and '4-way' for a shelf on both sides. Thanks.
Forrest

Aug 06, 2013, 06:19 PM
GardenSprite
I did a lot of online searching but couldn't find those specific brackets.

Do you have any recollection where you purchased them 20 or so years ago?
Aug 06, 2013, 06:40 PM
FDPoston
It was a store called Hechinger's in Columbus, OH...one of those big hardware/lumber places like Home Depot and Lowes, but the company went out of business long ago. These are so useful that I find it hard to believe they aren't everywhere. I've tried online searches as well, but without a really precise term the chances of finding anything are small.
Aug 06, 2013, 11:20 PM
GardenSprite
It's possible that those specific brackets are someplace, but you could spend hours looking for them and never find them. And you're right about the correct terminology - I found a lot of brackets with names I'd never heard of, and some that I'd like to use for my own projects.

I've tried Meisel and Rockler and found a lot of brackets, but none like the photo you posted.

There used to be a source for historic hardware, such as might be used in This Old House period projects, but I can't remember the name of the catalogue.
Aug 06, 2013, 11:46 PM
FDPoston
I doubt they go back far enough for a "period" catalog. Even at Hechinger's, I just stumbled across them by accident, in an unmarked box on a bottom shelf. I don't have much good work space (or a lot of tools/clamps), so having these to get boards lined up quickly and well is a major plus. Not like it's a complex design, simplicity and common sense. No wonder they aren't around.
Aug 07, 2013, 10:08 AM
GardenSprite
quote:
Originally posted by FDPoston:

Not like it's a complex design, simplicity and common sense. No wonder they aren't around.

Yes, better to import junk from some Pacific Rim country than stick with a good design.

Can you fabricate that bracket if you have the tools for that?
Aug 07, 2013, 01:11 PM
FDPoston
I don't have the tools, but I know someone who does...who said it looked easy to make. Now, whether it's easier to make a bunch of these or easier to build the bookcase without them is another question.
Aug 07, 2013, 02:39 PM
nona
it looks like there is a brand name stamped into the inside of the bracket. Try doing a search for that company
Aug 07, 2013, 02:57 PM
FDPoston
All this time, and I never even paid attention to that. The company is still in business but doesn't seem to list these on their site. I've sent an e-mail with a pic. Thanks for opening my eyes.
Aug 07, 2013, 05:49 PM
FDPoston
Well, I got something of an answer from the company. "Something" because they just typed a line into the subject line of an e-mail without even bothering to write an e-mail.

News: long "obsolete".
My response was that they aren't obsolete since they are still useful. It's just that the company doesn't have enough sense to keep selling them.

Guess I'll see what my friend can do about making some eventually, but why do companies have to be so stupidly run? Haven't found on yet that I'd call well-run.