All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Bookcase Brackets
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Bookcase Brackets Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Over 20 years ago, I bought a batch of brackets that made building bookcases and such much easier, but I haven't been able to find them since. Anyone know where they can be purchased? Picture shows the '3-way' bracket for a single shelf. They also made simple corner brackets and '4-way' for a shelf on both sides. Thanks.
        Forrest

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I did a lot of online searching but couldn't find those specific brackets.

Do you have any recollection where you purchased them 20 or so years ago?

Posts: 1899 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It was a store called Hechinger's in Columbus, OH...one of those big hardware/lumber places like Home Depot and Lowes, but the company went out of business long ago. These are so useful that I find it hard to believe they aren't everywhere. I've tried online searches as well, but without a really precise term the chances of finding anything are small.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        It's possible that those specific brackets are someplace, but you could spend hours looking for them and never find them. And you're right about the correct terminology - I found a lot of brackets with names I'd never heard of, and some that I'd like to use for my own projects.

I've tried Meisel and Rockler and found a lot of brackets, but none like the photo you posted.

There used to be a source for historic hardware, such as might be used in This Old House period projects, but I can't remember the name of the catalogue.

posted Hide Post
        I doubt they go back far enough for a "period" catalog. Even at Hechinger's, I just stumbled across them by accident, in an unmarked box on a bottom shelf. I don't have much good work space (or a lot of tools/clamps), so having these to get boards lined up quickly and well is a major plus. Not like it's a complex design, simplicity and common sense. No wonder they aren't around.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by FDPoston:

Not like it's a complex design, simplicity and common sense. No wonder they aren't around.

Yes, better to import junk from some Pacific Rim country than stick with a good design.

Can you fabricate that bracket if you have the tools for that?

posted Hide Post
        I don't have the tools, but I know someone who does...who said it looked easy to make. Now, whether it's easier to make a bunch of these or easier to build the bookcase without them is another question.

posted Hide Post
        it looks like there is a brand name stamped into the inside of the bracket. Try doing a search for that company

Posts: 2535 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        All this time, and I never even paid attention to that. The company is still in business but doesn't seem to list these on their site. I've sent an e-mail with a pic. Thanks for opening my eyes.

posted Hide Post
        Well, I got something of an answer from the company. "Something" because they just typed a line into the subject line of an e-mail without even bothering to write an e-mail.

News: long "obsolete".
        My response was that they aren't obsolete since they are still useful. It's just that the company doesn't have enough sense to keep selling them.

Guess I'll see what my friend can do about making some eventually, but why do companies have to be so stupidly run? Haven't found on yet that I'd call well-run.