All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Birch Pillar "Sleeves"
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Birch Pillar "Sleeves" Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        I found these while wandering through a gardening catalogue's end-of-season sale and thought they would made interesting holiday decorations.

Birch Pillar "Sleeves"

What would be the best way to hollow out the logs, either of birch or some other wood? By the time cooler weather rolls around I'll have a lot of mulberry logs that I could also use. Would that wood be suitable?

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I don't think they hollowed out the birch sticks you see in the picture. More likely they had LED candle units and glued birch bark to them. If you tried to hollow out a log and leave that thin of a wall, it would crack and distort badly.

Posts: 841 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        That's what I was wondering about - how to hollow out so much of the interior without the exterior collapsing.

It never occurred to me that it might be birch bark wrapped around lights.

Joe, thanks for taking the time to respond to my request. Smile

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post