DIY Message Boards
Display Case

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5721916776/m/4153960077

Apr 26, 2013, 11:00 AM
illusions
Display Case
I want to make a display case to display some old fishing gear and and some old wooden lures. The problem that I am having is that I have never worked with glass and I am not on how to make the frame to fit the piece of glass properly. If you guys have any suggestions on how I could accomplish this task please get back with me ASAP.
Apr 26, 2013, 01:24 PM
swschrad
is this like a store display case, or a shadowbox that hangs on the wall?

in either event... you have to have a channel cut/mitered/rabbetted in the wood that holds the glass... typical cut width is about 1/4 inch for a small piece, 3/8 or so for a larger one. it has to be as deep as the glass for a single-strength (1/16) pane or a double-strength (1/8 inch) pane, or however thick your glass is. measure with a dial caliper if unsure, and allow 1/32 for a bed of felt or silicone if desired. it will not only stop rattling, but may save the glass if you are a little heavy on the nailer or hammer putting the stops over the glass.

obviously, the inside dimension of the frame has to be at least 2x that reveal cut smaller than the glass.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Apr 28, 2013, 11:57 PM
deweyjsikes
When I made a display case for a goldylocks doll and momma bear that my sister made 20 years ago (26 and 30 inches tall respectively) I made the frames (4) the size I wanted then measured carefully and ordered the tempered glass to the required dimensions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deweyjsikes,

Duke Sikes
May 13, 2013, 03:01 PM
illusions
I thank you for that input I will have put that information to good use. I am sure that I will have good success with this information.