All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    Help a newbie lining up dado cuts?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help a newbie lining up dado cuts? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all, I have a new router and just learning how to use it. It's a nice one, a Porter Cable. It has variable speed, a standard and plunge bases, 1/2 and 1/4 in. collets.
        I'm having trouble lining up the bit with my mark on the wood for dado cuts. I would use a straight edge guide, but I can't position the guide accurately enough because it's hard to determine exactly where the cutting edge of the bit will cut into the wood.

I looked up dado jigs, but it looks as if you need a different jig for each type of bit. Not to mention it seems to me that the edge of the jig would get whittled down from the bit each time you use it.
        Any tips on how to line up a bit using a straight edge guide?
        Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 27 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Feb 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If you are using a pattern bit place your guide right on the line.

Posts: 120 | Location: San Luis Obispo,Ca | Registered: Jan 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It's just a 1/2 in. straight bit. I tried to put the bit against my cut line, then made a mark where the edge of the base was. I laid my guide down at that mark, but the bit cut a little off my cut line.

Posts: 27 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Feb 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Mark out the centerline of your dado cut then measure or look in the owner's manual and find the true diameter of your router's base plate. Then place your guide the correct distance from the dado centerline. Your dado should be right on.

I've found that using a router table, even a cheap one, is quicker and easier.

Posts: 841 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks Joe. That's basically what I did. I cut a dado along a guide, and measured from the edge of the cut to the guide. The owner's manual wasn't that good. It was written as if the user has had prior experience with routers.
        As for the table, I'd like one, but I'm just starting out with woodworking as a hobby, and I want to keep the cost complaints from the wife to a minimum.