All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Hobbies & Crafts  Hop To Forums  Woodworking    staining kitchen cabinets
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

staining kitchen cabinets Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm having my kitchen cabinets refinished. One contractor asked how many coats of stain I wanted 2 or 6. What is the correct number to do or a number in between? Thanks for all replies.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Coats of stain will depend on how dark you want the stain to be. The ideal is to find the right stain color that you want and apply it in one coat. In some cases if you cannot find a stain that makes your finish dark enough, a second coat will be needed. Three is unusual and six is plain stupid.

I'm hoping he was talking about finish coats (polyurethane). In this case, two is the minimum with three being normal. Beyond three is overkill. Here too, can't imagine a pro even considering six coats.

Jaybee

Posts: 10362 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks for the quick reply. I'll ask if its finish coats.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Maybe you can show us a picture too.

[url=https://myspace.com/stevebarbarich]steve barbarich[/url]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        we had to sand down nasty black-ish stain to the wood, two coats of stain, three poly. that's a lifetime finish.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5779 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post